Models of Restorative Justice
You are a mediator working for a mediation center providing service in an urban area for residents, businesses, social service agencies, legal advocacy groups, and county courts. Your center helps communities develop models of restorative justice, including training programs for its clients.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
You are considering adopting a restorative justice model from one of the countries that have been utilizing mediation. There are several countries from which to choose. You may select the Chinese model of people’s mediation committees (PMC) for settling disputes, the New Zealand model, the Norwegian model of restorative justice, or the Canadian model.
Prepare a 4- to 6-page Microsoft Word document and address the following:
- Examine one of the countries’ models and use data to evaluate whether such programs would be effective in the United States.
- Specify which crimes or situations such model would be appropriate for, and indicate any changes that would be required in order to work best in different situations.
- Specify the “players” involved and show how the offender’s social network and local community can help in resolving crimes or disputes.
In order to establish what you have learned about the other country’s system and to show how you think it could be modified to work in the United States, apply the model to the following scenario:
Charles is a sixteen-year-old high school student. He has a clean record and is a good student, but recently he got into trouble. He was with two other friends who vandalized a local 7-11. They spray-painted graffiti, overturned garbage cans, and drove through the landscaping. The other two students have prior records and are being dealt with separately. Because Charles has a clean record, he is offered the opportunity to participate in a restorative-justice process of offender/victim mediation.
Respond to the following:
- What would you propose in order to resolve this situation?
- What barriers would need to be overcome in order to enact your solution?
- How would your resolution be enforced? In other words, what if Charles doesn’t live up to his agreement?
- Why you think your resolution is a better alternative for all concerned than a traditional punishment?
Support your responses with examples.
Cite any sources in APA format.
*PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE PROOF READ THE ESSAY, MAKE SURE ALL OF THE QUESTIONS ARE COMPLETED AND MAKES SENSE, HAVE A REFERENCE PAGE AND INCLUDE THE REFERENCES WITHIN THE ESSAY*