Social media and its use have major implications in the business ethics arena.
Read the case study: Social Networking and Social Responsibility (pp. 410-417) and address the questions found on pp.416-417
Questions for Discussion
1. What are the benefits and risks associated with a company’s use of social networking?
2. Are there any significant differences between a company’s use of social networking technologies and an individual use?
3. As a social media user, are you concerned that your information is tracked for “advertising” purposes? Why or why not?
4. Compare IBM’s private social network Blue Pages with a public social- networking site like Twitter or Facebook. Do you think user information is any safer on Blue Pages? Why or why not?
5. What responsibilities do companies have regarding private company social- networking sites?
6. Do you think it’s right for companies to collect and analyze user data from social- networking sites in order to influence consumers? Why or why not?
Grading Criteria – Unit 6 Social Networking and Social Responsibility
Thoroughly addresses case study questions. No more than 15% of the submission is direct quote. Student relies on summary and paraphrase to demonstrate understanding of material.
Contains no grammatical or mechanical errors
Submission is no fewer than 500 words INCLUSIVE of questions and references.
Includes APA-formatted in-text citations and References page. REQUIRED.